21.3.06

Sick days...

Do you remember the days when as a child you became ill and mom was there to nurse you back to health. You could lay in beds for hours and Mom would come in every so often with a "Honey, is there anything I can get for you?" You could ask for practically anything and it was yours. Then if you were really lucky Mom would take a sick day and you would lay on the couch all day watching movies and spending time together. Boy oh boy, do I miss those days.

Now reality sets in. You become an adult. Your too far away from home to even call Mom and ask her to come and take care of you. You are simply left to do it on your own. Sometimes it is even tempting to fly home just so she can nurse you back to health. Then you realize that is practically impossible. So you are left to take care of yourself.

For me, when I am sick, I am probably the most vulnerable. All I want is to be cared for and nursed back to health. I want to hear those sweet words, "Honey is there anything that I can get for you?" Then when my response is a bowl of ice cream, it appears. Man, being an adult can really stink!

I want the days of being sick and having that aching-body-stink-because-I-haven't-
showered-in-two-days-feeling to go away. Some may say "Shower it will make you feel better". I want more than that. Instead of having to drag myself to the store to buy Gatorade and Saltines, I want my Mom to be here to do it for me. These are the days when I most long to be a child again. The days when the greatest thing in the world would be having Mom by my side to nurse me back to health.

Oh how those days left so quickly and the harsh reality of real work and life sets in. No longer are the days of being spoiled...I mean well taken care of by Mom. Here come the days of adult responsibility, there-are-only-so-many-sick-days-one-can-take. Oh well. I guess I have to face reality eventually.....

Maybe I can put it off for one more day.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Amen. That has the be the number one worst thing about being an adult. I hate, HATE, H-A-T-E having to clean up after my own sick day. Also, going to the grocery store when all you want to do is sit around and watch a movie in the same set of pajamas for 3 days blows.