2.5.06

Optimism...

What is it? How is it defined.

Old Mr. Webster says that it is either a doctrine that this world is the best possible world or an inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome.

I personally do not think that this world is the best possible world. I think that the best possible world is something that will come in it's own due time. Maybe the time will be after the second-coming. Maybe that time was in the Garden of Eden. Maybe that time is yet to exist.

What does any of this have to do with me and why am I posting it? Well I used to, at one point in my life, define my self as an optimist. Now I am not so sure. I do tend to, in most situations, look at the brighter side of things. But when taking optimist in it's literal form, it just doesn't seem to fit who I am.

What other words would better suit me? Pragmatism, idealism, skepticism, cynicism. Maybe somewhere within all of these words there is a better fit. Something that can be used to better define my views and my perspective.

Ultimately I feel that just one word cannot describe any individual. We all are made up of many, many things and it is within each of these things that you find the beauty and brilliance that is humanity.

Fundamentally the best word to describe me may be human.

No comments: